Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Legally Blind

I've been legally blind since the fifth grade. Or at least that's the first time I remembering hearing that phrase. By then I was a veteran contact-wearer, but I do remember the moment I first got glasses. I was six years old and when I put those things on (those hideous, purple-tinted things that my six year old self LOVED!) I  could see. I could see everything. I could see leafs on trees. I couldn't believe it-there was this amazingly detailed world out there that I hadn't known about.



But I've never been sorry that I don't have perfect vision. I've always loved that when I take off my glasses the city lights spring into bokeh (even before I knew what that word meant I loved it, I called them my pac-men.) I've always loved (again, before I knew what it meant) that I only see with a shallow depth of field-such a limited focus means I can only see what is (literally) right in front of my face.

And I've never felt like life needed to be completely in focus. I'm ok (in fact I prefer) when you have to guess a little, figure it out for yourself, leave it open for interpretation.


No comments:

Post a Comment