Monday, January 17, 2011

I don't know, I was bawling too.....

I just got off the phone with my Dad. We covered the basic stuff (doctor's visits, sunsets, camera equipment) and then he told me a story. He told me that he had gone to Uncle Bob's (and by Uncle Bob I mean the man nobody told me wasn't actually my uncle until I was twelve. Don't tell me blood is thicker than water, this simple isn't true.)



Anyway, Uncle Bob's son Shane just retired from the service and had a retirement party and Dad (a veteran himself) attended. Uncle Bob is a BIG MEAN COWBOY. That's right; a rodeo-riding, horse-shoeing, cowboy. Really. And the world's biggest softy. Dad said he watched Bob (also a veteran) sitting in the corner crying while he watched his son receive his honors.  When they left for the after-party (or whatever you call it) Shane said to his dad (because he was just holding on himself, I'm sure) , "and you! over in that corner crying! Did you see that Joe?" and my Dad said, " I don't know, I was bawling too."

Uncle Bob and Dad. Summer 2007.
Just a note; I am the daughter of a veteran. I am the niece (biological and otherwise) of veterans. It isn't Veterans Day. It isn't Flag Day. But it isn't a bad day to honor those who protect and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment