Thursday, June 23, 2011

Little Women

One of my friends, Lisa,  and her daughter (about 5 years old) was staying with us a few years ago. Lydia has big, beautiful eyes-and when anyone who met her would say "oh, what pretty eyes you have" Lydia would say "I know!" in a well-of-course-I-do sort of way. Understanding this was a great time to teach Lydia about modesty, Lisa had instructed Lydia in proper discourse. "Thank you. I appreciate the compliment." and had also devised a strategy for her daughter....

Lydia was told that whenever she felt like it she could look in the mirror and tell herself what pretty eyes she had. (How's that for positive affirmation? we should all start our day this way.)  So while she was visiting I overheard her sitting on the toilet, looking in the mirror, and cooing to herself " you have beautiful eyes! and such beautiful eyelashes!"

Lydia playing dress up. Check out those beautiful eyelashes. 

She's not alone. I watched a little girl, maybe around 4, at the grocery store. She'd seemed quite distracted (running into her Aunt's big purse quite a few times) until she noticed the mirror (you know, the one they use to check under your cart) I saw her move in to examine her reflection several times before she went in for a big kiss. To herself. I couldn't help it--I laughed out loud and introduced myself to her Aunt. She told me her niece LOVED looking at herself;  if there is a mirror any where around she can't even see anyone else.

And I wonder when it changes; when do we stop looking in the mirror and thinking "What pretty eyes" and start thinking "where did those wrinkles come from" " look at those zits" "my nose is too big" "my lips are too small."

I think these little ladies are on to something. The only person responsible for my self-image is me.  So if you catch me looking in the mirror and telling myself how pretty my eyes are, you'll not only forgive me, but you'll know who my role-models are.

No comments:

Post a Comment