Thursday, March 3, 2011

Chop wood, carry water


Chop wood. Carry Water
-Zen proverb


Work. Always work. Pull weeds, wash dishes, change the laundry. Process film, grade papers, print. Feed the animals, make dinner.  Read. read. read. Write, write. write. Work.

And this is true; work should be a mediation and a song.

When I am working on needlecraft, I am meditating on the love I learned from my Grandfather, the steel-worker who taught me to knit and crochet.  When I am weeding or planting, I am meditating on the hours of love my parents spent in our garden growing up. When I am photographing or editing I am grateful ten-thousand times for the gift of seeing.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I was introspective, and felt emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very nice set of thoughts, especially when doing "work" that we enjoy or love, rather than the "work" we do that allows us the time and ability to conduct the first kind.

    ReplyDelete