Sunday, February 6, 2011

Invincible Summer

"In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."  Albert Camus



Yesterday I turned the compost into the beds that will be home to our tomatoes this year. (What a delightful chore; rich and loamy soil has a wonderful feel and smell.) And every time I am working in the garden in January or February I can't help but be amazed. For a girl from Utah, February is the depths of winter (and yes, I know that isn't exactly what Camus meant, but I can't help but think of this time of year as my invincible summer) And yesterday, on February 5th, the apricot tree bloomed....and is already teeming with bees. 




What an amazing gift. To be able to spend almost every day of the year outside. Even though I have lived here for 12 years, I have resisted calling myself a Californian; I wanted nothing to do with the smog and the traffic and the strip malls and the suburbs and the suburbs and the suburbs. 


But I was wrong. There are suburbs and strip malls everywhere. And also apricot trees. 

2 comments:

  1. I was just talking to some friends yesterday about how people focus on the traffic, pollution, etc. but how can you not love a day like today? The depths of winter, and 75 degrees? We are truly lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except for the days when the police stop a low-rider SUV right in front of your house and the guy inside starts going off about how its all racial, and the cops are just down on him because they see a stylin' vehicle and think it MUST be a gang-banger inside, so they should just give him a ticket and get out of his way!

    ReplyDelete